What does First Baptist Spearman exist for?
- To love Jesus-– First Baptist Spearman exists to make much of Jesus, to magnify His greatness in all that we do, think and say. It’s not about us, it’s about Him!
- To love others-– Jesus said the main purpose of the church is to make disciples for Him, Matthew 28:19-20. A disciple is one who learns the way of life of another – his thinking, his speech, his heart, his passion. Jesus said we do this as we go about everyday life as we love others and spend time time with them in relationship as we evangelize, baptize, and teach others to obey all He commanded us.
- To serve the world-– Jesus said His disciples are to make disciples from ALL people groups – from every language group, culture and ethnic background. All people groups need the grace, mercy, truth and life Jesus gives to those who hope in Him.
How does First Baptist Spearman do this?
- Gospel-centered – the central message of the Bible is the gospel (good news) of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The good news is good because the bad news is bad: every person has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. The good news is there is a way to receive forgiveness and eternal life with God – through faith in Jesus, because of His death and resurrection! So making disciples for Jesus requires keeping the gospel central. We do that every Sunday and Wednesday through our worship services.
- Community– is sharing our life in Christ together. It is doing mission together, growing in learning and obeying Christ’s word together, serving one another, bearing one another’s burdens. Gospel-centered community means community that is healing, redemptive and transformational. It means coming together to stir up one another to love and good works, speaking Christ’s truth in love to each other.
- Mission– gospel works that provide the opportunity for gospel words that invite and call people to become disciples of Jesus Christ. A gospel-centered church is a church on mission with Jesus, to spread the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ not only to Spearman but to the world!